This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Left with errors but Task Manager is repaired

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:13 PM
I'm very pleased with this repair tool - several errors repaired and left with three, there doesn't seem to be a problem with Task Manager any more. The three unrepaired items each returned error message "Cannot extract task file '################' from zip file 'Q:\TEMP\Windows7 Tasks.zip': Part URI is not valid per rules defined in the Open Packaging Conventions specification." That's gobbledygook to me but I'd be interested to know what it means :) and if there's anything I should do to "tidy up". Thanks in advance.
Oct 5, 2016 at 9:29 AM
It is a complicated way of saying that the task file is not present in the zip file, with a side order of suspicion that the task name is unusual in some way. If you paste the report from the Repair into this thread, I should be able to tell you whether the remaining tasks are anything to worry about.

Dijji
Oct 9, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Thanks Dijji - here it is -
Cannot extract task file '{0D4C65CE-515D-4E03-805E-57992E854F90}' from zip file 'Q:\TEMP\Windows7 Tasks.zip': Part URI is not valid per rules defined in the Open Packaging Conventions specification.
Cannot extract task file '{162E77BB-8EBA-4DB8-B1E8-A46AA8B52F18}' from zip file 'Q:\TEMP\Windows7 Tasks.zip': Part URI is not valid per rules defined in the Open Packaging Conventions specification.
Cannot extract task file '{21D154C9-6A1C-4A29-B044-474034D14B43}' from zip file 'Q:\TEMP\Windows7 Tasks.zip': Part URI is not valid per rules defined in the Open Packaging Conventions specification.
Repair completed: 0 repairs succeeded; 3 repairs failed
Oct 10, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Yes, I think it is complaining about the curly brackets in the task names. These names, by the way, are GUIDs. Creating these is the easiest way to generate a unique name. They’re usually used when tasks are set up by third-party software: for instance, I think Adobe Updater used to set up a task with a GUID name.

They are almost certainly not of any great importance. Should you wish to be sure, you can open up the files, which you will find in Windows\System32\Tasks, using any text reader. They are just XML, and what they do is defined by the Action tag, which normally appears towards the bottom of the file.

Dijji