This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

"Requested registry is not allowed"

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:48 AM
Attempting to use your tool to fix some issues I've been having with the Task Scheduler, but I'm not getting anywhere due to permissions on the Registry for some reason. I'm on as an admin, have launched your executable as an admin. UAC is disabled. I have full control in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Schedule/TaskCache and it's subkeys. I have full control on C:/Windows/System32/Tasks. Not sure what's blocking me. Any ideas are appreciated.
Cannot extract task file '[Content_Types].xml' from zip file 'C:\Users\nimajneb.000\Downloads\Windows7 Tasks.zip': Part URI is not valid per rules defined in the Open Packaging Conventions specification.
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Active_Directory_Rights_Management_Services_Client\AD_RMS_Rights_Policy_Template_Management_(Automated) failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Active_Directory_Rights_Management_Services_Client\AD_RMS_Rights_Policy_Template_Management_(Manual) failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\AppID\PolicyConverter terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\AppID\VerifiedPublisherCertStoreCheck terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Application_Experience\AitAgent failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Application_Experience\Microsoft_Compatibility_Appraiser failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Application_Experience\ProgramDataUpdater failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Bluetooth\UninstallDeviceTask terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\SystemTask terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\UserTask terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\UserTask-Roam terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Customer_Experience_Improvement_Program\Consolidator failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Customer_Experience_Improvement_Program\KernelCeipTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Customer_Experience_Improvement_Program\UsbCeip failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis\Scheduled terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Location\Notifications terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance\WinSAT terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\ActivateWindowsSearch failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\ConfigureInternetTimeService failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\DispatchRecoveryTasks failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\ehDRMInit failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\InstallPlayReady failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\mcupdate failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\MediaCenterRecoveryTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\ObjectStoreRecoveryTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\OCURActivate failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\OCURDiscovery failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\PBDADiscovery failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\PBDADiscoveryW1 failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\PBDADiscoveryW2 failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\PeriodicScanRetry failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\PvrRecoveryTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\PvrScheduleTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\RecordingRestart failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\RegisterSearch failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\ReindexSearchRoot failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\SqlLiteRecoveryTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Media_Center\UpdateRecordPath failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\CorruptionDetector terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\DecompressionFailureDetector terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\MUI\LPRemove terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Multimedia\SystemSoundsService terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Offline_Files\Background_Synchronization failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Offline_Files\Logon_Synchronization failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Power_Efficiency_Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Ras\MobilityManager terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Registry\RegIdleBackup terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\RemoteAssistance\RemoteAssistanceTask terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Shell\WindowsParentalControls terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Shell\WindowsParentalControlsMigration terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTask terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Task_Manager\Interactive failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1 terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2 terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Time_Synchronization\SynchronizeTime failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\UPnP\UPnPHostConfig terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\User_Profile_Service\HiveUploadTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\WDI\ResolutionHost terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\ConfigNotification terminated by unexpected error 'Requested registry access is not allowed.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\Windows_Backup_Monitor failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\WindowsColorSystem\Calibration_Loader failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Windows_Activation_Technologies\ValidationTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Windows_Activation_Technologies\ValidationTaskDeadline failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Windows_Error_Reporting\QueueReporting failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Windows_Filtering_Platform\BfeOnServiceStartTypeChange failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Windows_Media_Sharing\UpdateLibrary failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows_Defender\MpIdleTask failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows_Defender\MP_Scheduled_Scan failed with 'ERROR: Access is denied.'
Repair completed: 0 repairs succeeded; 76 repairs failed
Jul 27, 2016 at 10:42 AM
Looking at the errors, they seem to be coming from the step where RepairTasks invokes Schtasks.exe to reinstall the tasks. The access denied errors are definitely coming from this step. RepairTasks executes this step in a subprocess, which should be picking up the same privileges as its parent, but the errors are consistent with the subprocess not having admin privileges, for some unobvious reason.

I think that in your case the best diagnostic approach might be to pick one of the tasks and go through the steps manually, as documented here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2305420 and see where, if anywhere, things go astray.

Dijji
Jul 27, 2016 at 2:53 PM
Alright, while that procedure didn't fix the problem for me it led me to the solution. Basically what I discovered when I started interrogating the individual task keys in regedit is that, while I had control of the HK_LM, the ownership and permissions had been cleared on the specific subkeys for each of the Microsoft tasks in TaskCache. What I had to do was go through, one by one because for some reason child propagation of ownership was not working on them, and take ownership of each subkey then assign permissions to it from MACHINE. This allowed me to clear them completely and then RepairTasks was able to rebuild the cache from the existing XMLs in System32/Tasks. Once that was done, I checked TaskScheduler, and all appeared correct, no errors and the system control panel that originally started me on this journey gave no errors on changing settings for system restore. I have no idea what could have cleared / damaged those permissions, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that other surprises aren't hiding for me somewhere else in the registry. Thanks for creating this tool, Dijji. You really saved my behind here.