This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Thank you

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:33 PM
I tried to load 10 and did not make a backup of my system, except for important data. The backup failed, was finally able to reload 7 but have had nothing but problems since. Your program fixed 138 issues but could not fix 32 issues. Please do not think I am complaining. I could not back up the system, defrag etc., etc, etc.. I was at the point of reinstalling win 7 pro. That would have been a real headache. I am not comfortable with editing the register, so when I came across your program and it worked I was ecstatic.
If possible I would your opinion on the remaining 32 issues. I do not see a button to attach, so included is an image of the print out. (Had to do a copy past)
Again, thank you for this gift.
Allen
cannot copy task file 'c:\windows\system32\Tasks\McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task', Access to the path'C:\windows\system32\Tasks\McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task' is denied. Recovery of task Microsoft \windows\AppID\EDP policy Manager failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(29,7):wnfstatechangeTrigger:'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\AppID\Smartscreenspecific failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(28,7):Maintenancesettings:'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Certificateservicesclient\AikcertEnrollTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(27,7):wnfstateChangeTrigger:'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\certi.ficateservicesclient\cryptoPolicyTask failed with ':ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (26,7):wnfstateChangeTrigger: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\certificateservicesclient\KeypreGenTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (26,7):wnfstatechangeTrigger: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\certificateservicesclient\systemTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (34,7):wnfstatechangeTrigger:,Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Certifi cateServicesclient\UserTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (34,7):wnfStateChangeTrigger: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelceipTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (33,7):Maintenancesettings:,Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Customer Experience Improvement program\UsbCeip failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:l.4'Recovery of task Mi.crosoft\windows\Defrag\Schedul edDefrag fail:ed with 'ERROR: The task XML contai ns an unexpectednode. (26,7):Maintenancesettings: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Diagnosis\scheduled failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpectednode.(29,7):Maintenancesettings:'Recovery of task Mi c,rosoft\wi ndows\Di skDi agnosti c\Mi crosoft-Wi ndows-Di skDi agnosti cDataCo11 ector fai lied wi th 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (27,7):Maintenancesettings: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Location\Notifications failed with 'ERROR: The task XMl contains an unexpectednode . (26,7):wnfStateChangeTrigger: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Location\windowsActionDialog failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (26,7):wnfstateChangeTrigger: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Maintenance\winsAT failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpectednode.(27,7):Maintenancesettings:'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (31,7):Maintenancesettings: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\MuI\LPRemove failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpectednode . (26,7):Maintenancesetti ngs:,Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\perfTrack\BackgroundConfigsurveyor failed with 'ERROR: The task XML cont ains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:l.5'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\power Efficiency Dia~nostics\Analyzesystem failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node . (27,7):Maintenancesettings:Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\RAc\RacTask failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:l.5'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Registry\RegIdleBackup failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpectednode.(29,7):Maintenancesettings: '
Page 1
Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\shell\FamilysafetyMonitor failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of ran~e.(2,8):version:l.5'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\shell\FamllysafetyRefresh failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:l.5'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (25,7):MaintenanceSettings:,Recovery of task Mrlcrosoft\windows\shell\windowsparentalcontrols failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:l.5'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\systemRestore\sR failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpectednode.(26,7):Maintenancesettings: ' Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\TCpip\IpAddressconflictl failled with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:l.5'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\TCpip\IpAadressconflict2 failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:l.5'Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\Time synchronization\ForceSynchronizeTime failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(27,7):wnfstatechangeTri~ger:'Recove,ry of task Microsoft\windows\Time synchronizatlon\synchronizeTime failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node. (26,7):Maintenancesettings:,Recovery of task Microsoft\windows\windows Error Reportin~\QueueReporting failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains an unexpected node.(34,7):wnfstatechangeTri~ger:Repair completed: 0 repairs succeeded; 32 repairs falled
Page 2
Mar 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM
Edited Mar 4, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Quite a few of these are in the Windows tasks zip file that you can download from my site: its use is described towards the bottom of the Documentation page.

Some more are amongst the Windows 10 only tasks, also mentioned in the Documentation.

These should cover most of your remaining issues. You should be able to get it down to the only non-Microsoft supplied task in your list, the McAfee task. Repairing the McAfee installation may sort this out.

Let me know if you finish up with any unexpected failures.

Dijji
Mar 4, 2016 at 2:45 PM
I will be rereading the documentation and the other threads were people used the win task zip. When I download the program I received two folders, and a list of the 32 failed repairs. I also get a "Task backup failed with error "4" when running the Repair Tasks program. I am running this in the Recycle existing tasks mode. I will keep you updated.
Allen
Mar 4, 2016 at 3:09 PM
Can you tell me were is the "‘Take tasks from backup’ radio button checked"? I do not see a prompt from the download and do not see a radio button. in the scheduler.
Mar 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM
Ok, I have been overthinking this. The function you refer to is in Repair Task window.
Mar 4, 2016 at 4:05 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2016 at 4:15 PM
Steps I have taken:
  1. Open repair tasks
  2. Scan with "Recycle existing tasks"
  3. Select "Take tasks from backup"
  4. Select "Back up tasks"
  5. Select folder for backups
  6. Message "Task back up failed with error '4'
I did repair without "Back up tasks" since I do have a good backup of my os and folders. I did use the Windows files that downloaded from your site. I am now down from 160 issues to 17. Except for the McAfee issue can you see anything that would be an issue?

Cannot find 'McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\AppID\EDP Policy Manager' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\AikCertEnrollTask' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\CryptoPolicyTask' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\KeyPreGenTask' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\ForceSynchronizeTime' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\SynchronizeTime' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting' under 'C:\Users\Allen Stein\Desktop\Windows'
Repair completed: 0 repairs succeeded; 17 repairs failed

I started with 32 issues this morning. Now I can use all the tools under properties.
Mar 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM
I notice that some of the remaining tasks with a problem are in the zip file but have a blank somewhere in their path or file name. Is it possible that you unzipped the zip file rather than repairing from it directly? If so, you may be falling foul of the fact that names in the zip file have blanks replaced with underscores, in order to make them valid URLs, as required by this form of zip file. This means that unzipping the file will leave tasks with blanks with the wrong names. If you repair from the zip file without first unzipping it, the code fixes the names automatically for you.

With luck, this should get you to the point where you have just 11 Windows 10 only tasks left unrepaired, which can be safely left alone.

Dijji
Mar 4, 2016 at 5:40 PM
Looks good, included is the latest list.

Task McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task reported 'ERROR: The system cannot find the path specified.'
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\AppID\EDP Policy Manager
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\AikCertEnrollTask
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\CryptoPolicyTask
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\KeyPreGenTask
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance
Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\ForceSynchronizeTime
Scan completed: 12 problems found
Mar 4, 2016 at 5:46 PM
Is there a reason I would receive " "Task back up failed with error '4'" ?
Mar 5, 2016 at 9:50 AM
Under the covers, back up runs an xcopy command to perform the backup, copying the contents of System32\Tasks to the backup folder specified. Error 4 from xcopy, according to the Microsoft documentation, means:

Initialization error occurred. There is not enough memory or disk space, or you entered an invalid drive name or invalid syntax on the command line.
Mar 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM
Thank you for all the help, enjoy the day.
Allen