repair tasks returns 'Task back up failed with error '4'

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:09 PM
It worked!
My windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) was upgraded to Windows 10 then downgraded back to 7 Several months ago. Just found that the Task Scheduler was not working.
After viewing many solutions listed on the web, decided to try Repair Tasks v3.3.
After following your instructions (which were great!) I ran the first scan and noted 109 problems.
Saved the scan. Ran the Backup Tasks and it failed with code 4. (Stopped when trying to copy a McAfee file.)
Made a backup copy using Windows Explorer and noted that a number of files would not copy even as Administrator.
Decided to try Repair and Recycle existing tasks. 77 repairs succeeded; 32 repairs failed.
Rerunning same result. Task Scheduler still not working.
Tried Repair and take tasks from backup. Using your Windows7 Tasks.zip file.
Results: 20 repairs succeeded; 12 repairs failed. Task Scheduler now working.
Thank you! RogerM
Coordinator
Oct 21, 2016 at 8:32 PM
Hi RogerM

Thank you for sharing your experience. I find it very useful to hear about what is working and what isn’t.

For backup, Repair Tasks just uses xcopy under the covers, and return code 4 from that means:
Initialization error occurred. There is not enough memory or disk space, or you entered an invalid drive name or invalid syntax on the command line.
I wonder if it is having problems getting access to the Windows\System32\Tasks folder. Still, it sounds as though even if was getting that far, there would still be problems copying the McAfee files.

You don’t say what the 12 remaining failures are. I’m guessing that most them will be either third-party tasks e.g. ones set up by McAfee, or Windows 10 only tasks, as described in the Documentation pages. The former would probably require you to reinstall McAfee to sort out (with similar remedies for other third-party tasks), and Windows 10 only tasks are harmless.

Overall, it sounds like you are generally back in pretty good shape.

Dijji
Oct 22, 2016 at 3:25 PM
Hi Dijji,
Thank you for your reply.
Please look at the attached files for my response.
Found it easier this way.
RogerM
Oct 23, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Hi Dijji,

Sorry about the previous post, I was not aware that attachments were not visible.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate people who monitor and reply to posts on their projects.

I tried to keep my comments short knowing there are many configurations out there.

I looked at the Source Code files after receiving the code 4 error because I was operating as Administrator and had lots of memory and disk space and suspected the problem maybe with what Command line parameters were being used with xcopy. Determined it was too much trouble and decided just to make my own backup.

That’s when I found that some files did not copy.

Comparing the Repair Tasks backup with my backup I noticed that both stopped at the McAfee folder, failing to copy the McAfee file.

I was unable to copy the McAfee file manually, so looked at the remaining files which failed to copy and was able to copy all to my backup one at a time, leaving only the McAfee file not copied.

clip_image001

clip_image002

That’s when I assumed the McAfee file was the problem.

Looked at the file properties and found that Administrator did not have full control only System had full control.

I think the 12 remaining failures are Windows 10 only.

List of the 12 problems are shown below.

Did not try and disable McAfee to see if that would have helped.

Hope this information has been of some use.

Thanks again

RogerM

10/22/2016

Task McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task reported 'ERROR: The system cannot find the path specified.'

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\AppID\EDP Policy Manager

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\AikCertEnrollTask

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\CryptoPolicyTask

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\KeyPreGenTask

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance

Task not installed: Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\ForceSynchronizeTime

Scan completed: 12 problems found

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM
Hi RogerM

Thanks very much for the additional info.

I think you are right about the permissions on the McAfee task file causing the backup problem.

And yes, 11 of those are the usual windows 10 only tasks, and the 12th is the McAfee task. So I can confirm that you are indeed in good shape. Excellent!

Dijji
Oct 24, 2016 at 3:03 PM
Hi Dijji
Sorry about the photo clips.
Hope this information helps some one else.
Thanks for the good work.
RogerM
Oct 28, 2016 at 3:37 AM
Would you please explain to me how I post a question to you about this Repair Task download? I am just a novice, and perhaps I have no business trying to take part in this website, but I need help with this issue. It seems to me that with all the "projects" being worked on, nobody has bothered to work on making this website more User-friendly for those of us who don't know how to navigate such a cryptic site as this. Please give me instructions on how to post to you.

Thank you;
Laura K
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2016 at 7:25 AM
Hi Laura

Just go to Discussions and click on New Thread, near the top of the page. And don’t be worried about being a newbie. As long your intent is positive, all will be well. Geekery is not required.

Dijji
Nov 21, 2016 at 8:26 PM
Hello everyone!

I downloaded Repair Tasks & I don't know what choice to make in the window that appears when I open it. Please help me know what to do.

Some info you may need to know: The current computer I'm using (HP Compaq Presario Notebook) was given to me by a sister. She had upgraded to Windows 10 on it and almost immediately (well before the 30th day) reverted back to Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64 bit.

I can't do a backup the normal way. Thankfully, I have Norton Security Suite and it provides a backup. I backed it up onto an external storage device. Since one of the choices given by this Repair Tasks product has an option of "Take tasks from backup", I'm not sure how to proceed.

I especially don't know what "Recycle existing tasks" means. Do I do one option, then the other? Please explain everything to me thoroughly in a step by step way. I am a complete tech dummy.

Thank you;
Laura K.
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Hi Laura

Your best bet is to go to the Documentation page on the Repair Tasks site, and follow the link to a walk-through that appears near the top of the page. This gives step-by-step instructions for using the utility.

Dijji