This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

repair tasks returns 'Task back up failed with error '4'

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:44 PM
Just downloaded Repair Tasks as part of clean-up after rolling back Win-10 "upgrade".
Completed scan, then selected 'Backup Tasks'. That returned "Task back up failed with error '4'"
Jul 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM
What Backup does is to open up a command prompt and run an xcopy command to copy the contents of \Windows\System32\Tasks to a backup folder within the target folder that you select. The error code you see is the error reported by xcopy, which according to the Microsoft documentation means:

Initialization error occurred. There is not enough memory or disk space, or you entered an invalid drive name or invalid syntax on the command line.

You could try selecting a new target folder, or make the backup yourself from the command line or using Windows Explorer.

Dijji
Jul 23, 2016 at 3:33 AM
I have a Lenovo 1450 ABU 64-bit, running Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 Build 7601. Just reverted back to it after trying Windows 10 (which I liked...more info later). Like other people, have problems with my scheduled backups. Found your utility, downloaded it, scanned it (53 problems) and got the same message as above "Task back up failed with error 4." Ran it several times with different folders. Made sure all programs such as Chrome and word processing were closed. Still received message. It runs VERY quickly for about 2 seconds, way too fast for me to read it, and then returns that message. I am NOT in any way knowledgeable about programming or anything other than running programs and doing tasks with them, so I don't know how to do what you suggested, which was "make the backup yourself from the command line or using Windows Explorer." I am positive I have enough memory (4G) (maybe that's not enough?) and disk space (180G).

I am VERY tempted to just do a repair, but experience has shown that if something messes up, it will. Please let me know what else I can do.

BTW, I did like Win10. Only problem I had was that it refused to recognize any of my USB drives, including the SD card. WASTED hours reading discussions and downloading programs, only to have no solution, so if you or someone else could come up with a solution, I and others would be grateful.

And, Dijji, you are a refreshing drink of water in all this crap. As I said above, so much time has been wasted running solutions from people who ought to know how to fix the problem. It sounds as if you really know what you're doing!

Thanks for any help you may offer.
Jul 23, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Thank you for the kind words - but I haven’t fixed your problems yet. Here’s how to backup your tasks manually.
  1. Create a folder in which you are going to save a copy of your tasks. This can be anywhere, for instance in My Documents.
  2. Using Windows Explorer, open Windows\System32\Tasks (on your Windows system drive). You may be told that you don’t have access to this folder, and be asked whether you want to grant permission. If so, say yes.
  3. Select the entire contents of the Tasks folder, including all the folders that it contains. Right click and choose Copy.
  4. Navigate to the folder which you created in step 1, right click and choose Paste.
These steps will create exactly the same backup as one created by Repair Tasks.

If you have any problems with this, or run into further problems, feel free to post again.

Dijji
Jul 24, 2016 at 1:39 AM
Well, that was a big bust. 0 repairs. Now what? I was thinking about System Restore, but it only goes back to 7/17. Aaarrrgghhh! I need to back up my C disk. It's been several weeks. Alternatively, can you recommend a free back up program for at least my documents?

Thanks again.
Jul 24, 2016 at 12:11 PM
Don’t give up yet. What errors you getting when you try to Repair? If you use the ‘Save Results’ button to save the output to a .txt file, then copy the contents into this thread, I might be able to tell you what is going on.

Dijji
Jul 25, 2016 at 2:32 AM
Thank you, Dijji! You are fantastic!

Most of the errors have the file name, some numbers after them, and then ...terminated by unexpected error. 'The file is existing.

As you requested, here is the file:

Repair of task Adobe Flash Player Updater terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task DropboxUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-275372524-4221257781-494693170-1000Core terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task DropboxUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-275372524-4221257781-494693170-1000UA terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task G2MUpdateTask-S-1-5-21-275372524-4221257781-494693170-1000 terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task G2MUploadTask-S-1-5-21-275372524-4221257781-494693170-1000 terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task McAfee Remediation (Prepare) terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task McAfeeLogon terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task MirageAgent terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Reset ShopAtHome BAC terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task {117FCD9E-3259-4DEE-BA32-3A612C2B6CB7} terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task {2ACD52F8-5A82-4BBE-9475-EFB310616288} terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task {7A240B76-087F-4983-BA28-8B4DE6693292} terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task {7E3E7E59-EECC-4AB5-86E9-88BC8332D71A} terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task {E7F2BDDA-8594-4E00-A4BF-AAABE02C5882} terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Cannot copy task file 'C:\windows\system32\Tasks\McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task', Access to the path 'C:\windows\system32\Tasks\McAfee\McAfee Idle Detection Task' is denied.
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ActivateWindowsSearch terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ConfigureInternetTimeService terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\DispatchRecoveryTasks terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ehDRMInit terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\InstallPlayReady terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\mcupdate terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\mcupdate_scheduled terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\MediaCenterRecoveryTask terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ObjectStoreRecoveryTask terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\OCURActivate terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\OCURDiscovery terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\PBDADiscovery terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\PBDADiscoveryW1 terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\PBDADiscoveryW2 terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\PvrRecoveryTask terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\PvrScheduleTask terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\RecordingRestart terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\RegisterSearch terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\ReindexSearchRoot terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\SqlLiteRecoveryTask terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\StartRecording terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\UpdateRecordPath terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\MobilePC\HotStart terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Shell\WindowsParentalControls terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\SideShow\AutoWake terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\SideShow\GadgetManager terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\SideShow\SessionAgent terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\SideShow\SystemDataProviders terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1 terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2 terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\AutomaticBackup terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\Windows Backup Monitor terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task Microsoft\Windows Live\SOXE\Extractor Definitions Update Task terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair of task OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTask terminated by unexpected error 'The file exists.
'
Repair completed: 0 repairs succeeded; 53 repairs failed
Jul 25, 2016 at 2:39 AM
So I hope that gives you some idea of what's going on, and it's not too difficult to fix. I'm getting really, really frustrated by all this. I feel like throwing this computer out the window! I have wasted far too much time on something MS should have taken care of in the first place.

Thanks again!
Jul 25, 2016 at 10:10 AM
Edited Jul 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM
Hi CPL949

Thank you, that gives me a pretty strong pointer to what is going on.

When you install a task, the system takes the provided detailed definition of the task (which is an XML file), and copies it to \System 32\Tasks, or one of its subfolders. If the definition is already present in \System 32\Tasks, the installation fails, which is what you are seeing.

What Repair Tasks does is to reinstall a task. It does this by copying the existing definition from \System 32\Tasks, and then removing it from the system folder so that it can be installed again. If that installation fails, Repair Tasks puts the definition back where it was. Early versions deleted the original in the system folder, having copied it, but this ran into problems because some antivirus packages allowed the deletion, but prevented the restoration, causing task definitions to be lost. So, the current version renames the copy in \System 32\Tasks, adding "._hidden_" to its name, to get it out of the way, then renames it back again if the installation fails, or deletes it if it succeeds.

In your case, my guess is that your antivirus or some other protection is inhibiting the rename, so that the repair fails with ‘file exists’. What antivirus software are you running? Can you try running the repair again with your antivirus temporarily disabled?

Dijji
Jul 25, 2016 at 6:29 PM
It just doesn't want to do what it's supposed to do! I am so very frustrated! (another, non-related issue is adding to this feeling.)

I am running McAfee, supplied by my provider, AT&T. I shut it off, waited a couple of minutes, then ran it, and ran it again. Same messages. Now what?
Jul 25, 2016 at 9:26 PM
I’ve been looking at the code, trying to imagine what could be going on, but I can’t see how any other problem could generate the error that you are seeing.
It might shed some light to try part of the process manually. Take the following steps:
  1. In File Explorer, go to \System32\Tasks. You should find a file there called ‘GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore’. Rename it to ‘GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore._hidden_’.
  2. Open Repair Tasks and run Scan. If you then look in \System32\Tasks, you should find that both ‘GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore’ and ‘GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore._hidden_’ are now present.
  3. If this is the case, run Repair with recycle existing tasks selected. Do you see any change in the result for this task? If you look in \System32\Tasks, you should find that only ‘GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore’ is now present.
If you have a chance, try this and let me know what you find.

Dijji
Jul 27, 2016 at 2:43 AM
Sorry for the delay...I was kind of busy for the last couple of days.

Thank you, Dijji, for all your time and expertise in helping me with this problem.

First, I did rename the file. They are both there in the Tasks folder. However, when I ran scan, it did NOT show up. I typed the name as

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.hidden

Did not use your quotes or end period.

If that is not the correct way to type the name, please let me know,

BTW, I don't know if it makes any difference, but I cannot find that system32 file by file explorer. I have to go directly to the folder on the C: drive.
Jul 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM
I think you got that right, the name should be:

GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore._hidden_

There is some potential confusion, because Codeplex markup uses underscores to indicate italics (as in your post).

I’m confused by your ‘both’. Before the rename, you should have just GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore, and after it just GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore._hidden_
if that’s the case, you’re saying you still have just GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore._hidden_ after having run Scan?

Dijji
Aug 1, 2016 at 4:24 AM
Edited Aug 1, 2016 at 4:25 AM
Back then, after running Scan on recycle...yes, the file with the hidden name was there along with the regular file. Now, however, it is not there (the file with hidden).