3 tasks unable to be repaired

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:38 PM
First of all Kudos to this fantastic tool. It has worked on countless machines and made my life much easier. Thank you!
I have a problem machine though that still has 3 tasks that are unable to be repaired. Here is the log

Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask' under 'C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Windows7 Tasks\Microsoft\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1' under 'C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Windows7 Tasks\Microsoft\Windows'
Cannot find 'Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2' under 'C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Windows7 Tasks\Microsoft\Windows'
Repair completed: 0 repairs succeeded; 3 repairs failed

Any help would be much appreciated. This is a POS machine and I would really not have to reinstall the OS if only I absolutely have to.
Jul 7, 2016 at 11:28 PM
I should also say that I did run the folder labeled windows 7 tasks as well and while it fixed another machine with these issues, it will not fix this one :( I appreciate your input- thanks again
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2016 at 8:25 AM
Clean versions of all three of those tasks are available in ‘Windows 7 Tasks.zip’. What errors do you get when you run repair using the zip file (without unzipping it)?

Also, just to check, is this a Windows 7 machine?

Dijji
Jul 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM
I did it as you suggested unzipped and I still get this error:

It is a Windows 7 professional computer

Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask failed with 'ERROR: The interface is unknown.(12,228):Subscription:<QueryList><Query Id="0" Path="Application"><Select Path="Application">*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-CEIP'] and EventID=1007]]</Select></Query></QueryList>'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1 failed with 'ERROR: The interface is unknown.(11,201):Subscription:<QueryList><Query Id="0" Path="System"><Select Path="System">*[System[Provider[@Name='Tcpip'] and EventID=4198]]</Select></Query></QueryList>'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2 failed with 'ERROR: The interface is unknown.(12,201):Subscription:<QueryList><Query Id="0" Path="System"><Select Path="System">*[System[Provider[@Name='Tcpip'] and EventID=4199]]</Select></Query></QueryList>'
Repair completed: 0 repairs succeeded; 3 repairs failed
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2016 at 4:15 PM
Nasty, but much clearer. These are all tasks that are triggered by system events, and it is complaining that it cannot set up the query over the event database.

A good cross check would be to open up the Event Viewer, and see if you can read the Application log.

One possibility is that the Event Log Service is not running, for some reason. See this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/116954-45-event-service-missing

Another possibility is that the registration or content of a system DLL required by the Task Scheduler to set up the query has been corrupted, in which case re-registration or “SFC /scannow” may help.

But check the health of the Event Log Service first.

Dijji
Jul 8, 2016 at 5:52 PM
Looks like the event services is corrupted, it will not start I get an error 3 when I try to.
I think I will try /sfc and see what happens

I really appreciate all of your help!
Jul 8, 2016 at 6:27 PM
Yay I found a fix!

Anyone that has this issue with event services failing to start error 3 navigate to windows\system32\winevt, check and see if there is a folder called logs. If there is not create the folder and then start the service. Presto it starts, then run the task repair tool again and it will work.

Thank you again for your help.
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2016 at 6:31 PM
It’s good to hear that you’ve cracked the problems, and how.

From my point of view, it’s also worth noting that errors reported by Repair, if they are not variations on “file not found” or the same as the error that occurs during Scan, may be pointing to an underlying problem with the system that is causing the issues.

Dijji