When I try to run the .exe file, I'm met with "RepairTasks has stopped working"

May 27, 2016 at 10:09 PM
Hi there

I'm trying to run RepairTasks because things have not been working on my computer since I had Windows 10 for 10 minutes and then went back to Win7. I found this program through a thread on another webside (can't remember which) and wanted to try it out, but whenever I try to run the RepairTasks.exe I'm met with the standard "RepairTasks has stopped working" windows error.

Please help.
Coordinator
May 28, 2016 at 8:38 AM
Hi

Is the crash happening before you see even the initial window? If so, then something fairly fundamental is wrong. RepairTasks deliberately depends only on things that are installed as standard in Windows 7, and the only thing that I can think of that would stop the initial window coming up is a problem with .Net Framework 3.5, on which RepairTasks depends. Is .Net Framework 3.5 installed? Does reinstalling it make a difference?

Dijji
May 28, 2016 at 6:58 PM
Hi

Yes, that's what happens when I try to open the program, and I checked my computer for .Net Framework, and apparently I have .Net Framework 4.6.1? I don't know?

Polzem
Coordinator
May 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM
As well as RepairTasks.exe, the zip file contains a file called RepairTasks.exe.config. Make sure that you have unzipped both files to the same directory before you try to run RepairTasks.exe.

The settings in the .config file say that it is okay to run the application with .Net Framework 4.6.1 if .Net Framework 3.5 is not available. If the .config file is not present, then .Net Framework 3.5 is required, and although this comes as part of Windows 7, it is separately uninstallable.

Note that it is perfectly okay to have multiple versions of the .Net Framework on a single system, so if the .config file doesn’t help, you might try downloading and installing .Net Framework 3.5.

Let me know what happens!

Dijji
Jun 14, 2016 at 7:18 PM
Hi,

I'm having this same issue as well, on two different PC's. I have the RepairTasks.exe.config file in the AAAAATASK folder and .Net Framework 3.5 is on (as a Windows feature).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2016 at 7:55 AM
Hi

I find this very puzzling. Are you running as an administrator? Do you see the “do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC” challenge when you start RepairTasks? Do you know if you are able to run any other .Net programs?

Dijji
Jun 15, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Hi,

I too am having this issue.
Currently running Windows 7 64 bit Professional.

For me, the "Stopped Responding" is occurring after scanning and finding the corrupt tasks to repair, when clicking the "repair" button is when the application is crashing.
I'm currently attempting to install .NET Framework 3.5 as well however mine too is enabled within the Windows Features.

Any further ideas?

Kind Regards,
Shane
Jun 15, 2016 at 4:10 PM
Hello,

I should clarify that these PC's were not reverted from Win10 to Win7. Windows Update had attempted to automatically install Win10, but those installs failed.

The Task Scheduler behavior however matches what's described by all who have benefited from your tool.

I attempt to run the RepairTasks.exe as administrator, I click Yes to allow it to make changes, and then it immediately crashes saying it has stopped working.

I have a screenshot of the event log entry, but am unable to paste it into this site. The Event ID is 1001 and it starts with...

Fault bucket 244346316, type 30
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

I'm unsure how to test the functionality of the .net framework.

Thank you
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2016 at 7:42 PM
Hi tdhosen and shanebutler

tdhosen’s idea of looking at the event log was a good one. Can you find anything similar, shanebutler?

I’m now doing exactly what you both doubtless are, hunting around the Internet.

It seems that CLR20r3 events indicate a problem with the .Net framework. Several threads point to this post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista/ which also applies to Windows 7 and .Net framework 3.5, which is what we are interested in.

Another angle would be to try and get some more information about the event. This post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9244694/c-sharp-windows-appication-event-clr20r3-on-application-start suggests that there are more details to be had, perhaps in the application log in the event viewer. This might help us clarify whether the problem is with the framework installation, or something specific to my program.

Do let me know what you find!

Dijji
Jun 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM
Hi Dijji and tdhosen,

I have managed to get this to work on my PC.
After searching for various means of trying to repair .NET Framework 3.5 on the PC, I attempted to do this from;
  • "Add/Remove Windows Features" and it failed after rebooting.
  • Attempted to do via CMD line - Failed
  • I have stumbled across a thread that advised that the following folder should have a heap of CONFIG files (I was missing one - The machine.config)
    File Path;
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG
    I have taken a full C drive backup of my files not too long ago (within a week of this playing up) and have attempted to restore this one file from the backup
When replacing the file (I have a copy of the original just in case) and then running the ".Net Framework Repair Tool" Steps (using number 3)

I was then able to run and execute the repair from RepairTask without the application crashing!!!
I now have another issues with Task Scheduler when it opens up, with MMC detecting an error and failing to start - But I have got this application to work on my PC now.

Thanks for your help guys!

Shane
Jun 23, 2016 at 3:51 PM
Hi Shane,

Thank you for taking the time to post those steps.

The PC I was working on was not missing the machine.config file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG, but I did notice it had a date of 5/20/16. This PC's failed upgrade to Win10 occurred on 5/19/16 and most of the other files in that directory were dated back in 2009, so I'm fairly certain it had been modified as a result of the Win10 upgrade attempt. For what it's worth, the web.config file appeared to have been modified as well.

I did not have a backup copy to swap in, so I changed its name to OLD-machine.config and then tried the .net repair methods in that link you provided. No luck.

I also tried renaming the the v2.0.50727 directory to v2.0.50727-OLD and then tried uninstalling .net 3.5 (with the thought that I might then be able to force Windows to create a whole new v2.0.50727 directory with new config files by reinstalling), but the uninstall bombed.

It then occurred to me that .net 3.5 might be "broken" and might therefore force RepairTasks to use .net 4.61 instead. So, with the directory still named v2.0.50727-OLD, I tried re-running RepairTasks and it worked like a charm. Once I got all the TaskScheduler issues resolved, I renamed the directory back to v2.0.50727 and all seems well.

Thanks again Shane for giving me the idea to mess with that directory and thanks to you Dijji for such a great tool!

Todd
Sep 3, 2016 at 5:31 AM
I'd just like to send out my thanks to all 3 of you:
  • Thx tdhosen, you're solution worked for me as well.
  • Thx shanebutler for the .Net links. Had a problem with .net 3.5 and some other program say a year ago and never quite fixed that problem because I could never find any decent help pages. Now I'll try to address this again.
  • And a great thank you to Dijji for the awesome program. 62 corrupted task files, now there's Zero! :)))
Coordinator
Sep 7, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, AzoresOne. I do love hearing that I have done something useful, for once. And I think that the little micro community demonstrated by this thread is wonderful to see!
Nov 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM
Repair Tasks immediately crashes when I try to run it in Administrator mode. I've tried all of the above without success. I experienced no problems until after the latest Windows Update on my desktop PC. I remember Windows Update trying to force me into Windows 10 earlier this year. Perhaps it was 5/18/2016 because that date is in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG. After I stopped Windows from upgrading me from 7 to 10, I installed never10.exe on my laptop and my desktop. Luckily, my laptop didn't go through the update attempt, so it has had no problems.

I booted up in Safe Mode and Repair Tasks started up. The scan detected 91 problems, all of which had this notation - ERROR: The network address is invalid. I tried the backup zip without success. I rebooted into Safe Mode with Networking. Ran Repair Tasks and got the same results.

Any other ideas? Would a Windows 7 repair disk work? Is the only other option to completely reinstall Windows 7?

Warmest regards,
Tom
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2016 at 7:56 AM
Hi Tom

I am wondering whether the reason for the invalid network address problems when in safe mode is that the service with which the underlying task checking utility communicates is not running. You could have a look under the Services tab in Task Manager to see if the Schedule service is running. I don’t know if safe mode runs enough pieces to allow you to make repairs.

The good news however is that Repair Tasks does run, indicating that the problem in your full system is very likely to be to do with the installation of the .Net framework. The bad news is that I have no particular insight into what you can do to fix this other than the techniques described above.

I’m sorry that I can’t be of more help, but do feel free to post again as you discover more.

Dijji
Nov 17, 2016 at 10:44 PM
Hi Dijji,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've decided the best approach is a complete Windows 7 install.

Best regards,
Tom