This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

bluetooth problem

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:00 AM
Hi, after running repair tasks, 52 errors were corrected, however, my bluetooth device goes missing. If I "show hidden devices" in device manager, the bluetooth icon appears and all hardware devices indicate they are not connected, code 45. I tried uninstalling the devices and re-booting, but no change. If I do a system restore, bluetooth operates properly again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:57 PM
I can only discover one Bluetooth related task on my Windows 10 system: Microsoft\Windows\Bluetooth\UninstallDeviceTask. You can stop this task being repaired by RepairTasks by going to \Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Bluetooth\ and removing the UninstallDeviceTask file, for instance by moving it to another folder. With luck, this should allow you to repair the other tasks without upsetting Bluetooth.

Dijji
Dec 28, 2015 at 1:00 AM
Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately, that task was not the problem...bluetooth stopped working. I was hoping that I could restore my original task schedules by simply copying and pasting from my backup to \Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Bluetooth\, but that didn't work. I even tried deleting the entire contents of \Windows\System32\Tasks, but bluetooth still wouldn't work. I had to do a system restore to get it working again. How do I do a restore of backed up tasks?

By doing repairs in batches, I have narrowed down the problem to one of the following tasks...any suggestions on which ones might be the problem? Thanks for your help.
Task ACMON reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task Adobe Flash Player Updater reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task ASPG reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task ASUS Live Update reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task ASUS P4G reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task ASUS SmartLogon Console Sensor reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task CCleanerSkipUAC reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task Core Temp Autostart Mark T reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GlaryInitialize 5 reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task Go to RoboForm Install page reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA1cf8d18cd82cb62 reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA1cff00493aedce5 reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-2916888297-4091141795-1035169605-1001Core reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-2916888297-4091141795-1035169605-1001UA reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-2916888297-4091141795-1035169605-1001UA1cffefbcef508b5 reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-2916888297-4091141795-1035169605-1001UA1d0420a41e4b975 reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task GU5SkipUAC reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task McAfee Remediation (Prepare) reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task One-Click Optimizer WO11 reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task P4G Sidebar reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task P4GIntlCtrl reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task not installed: Run RoboForm Process
Task not installed: WC3
Scan completed: 24 problems found

Mark J. Tamashiro

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:09 AM
Edited Dec 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM
RepairTasks works by scanning for task files under System32\Tasks, and will attempt to repair anything that it finds there that is not currently a correctly installed task. So, to restore tasks from a backup, just copy the task files in their folder structure from the backup to System32\Tasks, and run RepairTasks.

As for the tasks that you list, they are all non-Microsoft provided tasks. I only recognise two of them: Adobe Flash Player Updater and GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore. I can’t even exonerate them, as I’m not a Bluetooth user myself. If I was trying to resolve this, I would remove all these tasks from System32\Tasks, and add them back in, repairing as I went, until the problem occurred. One thing to watch out for: the task typically is not run when it is installed, but on a trigger, such as logon or a reboot, and so the problem might be removed considerably in time from the repair that reinstalled it.

I’m sorry that I’m not able to be of more help, but I wish you all luck in trying to resolve this.

Dijji
Dec 28, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Thank you again for your response and input. I narrowed the problem down to one of these two tasks.

Task McAfee Remediation (Prepare) reported 'ERROR: The task object version is either unsupported or invalid.'
Task not installed: WC3

If I try to repair them, my bluetooth goes away. If I then remove the 2 repaired files from the System32/Tasks folder and replace them with the files from my backup folder, then run Scan in RepairTasks, no error is found, and upon reboot, my bluetooth is still missing. I have to resort to System Restore to get bluetooth back. Any thoughts on this?

I am tempted to move these 2 files to a temporary folder and use my computer for a while to see if I notice any adverse effect. Thanks again!!

Mark J. Tamashiro

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:10 AM
The fact that Scan completes without errors after replacing the task files with the backups tells you that the task files are then installed correctly and will be run at the configured times. You can be confident of this because Scan invokes a system utility to check each installed task, which, amongst other things, validates the task file against a hash held in the registry. It is the failure of this check that gives rise to the original ‘corrupt’ message. So you are right, I believe, in thinking that one of these two tasks is causing your problem.

The McAfee task was apparently added in a mid-2015 update as ‘part of the precautions being built into the software for those people who will soon upgrade to Windows 10 to ensure the software will work OK afterwards’ (from https://community.mcafee.com/thread/81802?tstart=0 )

An Internet search for “WC3 task” reveals that it starts up Asus Wireless Console 3, I think at boot, to ‘manage the wifi and bluetooth connections’ (from http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27739.html?s=a087671915dfa5ea072b39a2def6d790 ). This is obviously a much more likely candidate. I think I would uninstall and reinstall Asus Wireless Console 3, or leave it uninstalled, on the grounds that it does not appear to be doing the right thing at the moment.

I think I would also be comfortable with removing the McAfee task if it is causing trouble, but it sounds pretty harmless, if of no use to you.

As a side note, it is always possible to have a look in the task files to see what they do. They are just XML files that you can read in notepad et cetera. The Actions tag, usually found near the bottom of the file, tells you what it does. The Triggers tag, usually just above this, tells you when it does it.

It sounds like your diligent pursuit of the problem is bringing you close to a successful resolution.

Dijji