Some Tasks Lost Apparently

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:56 PM
After installing RepairTasks, a vast majority of tasks were fixed, so thank you! However, there are a few remaining that even using your other file didn't fix. When I run the scan now, it says these tasks are not installed:

Microsoft\Windows\AppID\EDP Policy Manager
Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific
Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\AikCertEnrollTask
Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\CryptoPolicyTask
Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\KeyPreGenTask
Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog
Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic
Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor
Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh
Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance
Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronicization\ForceSynchronizeTime

Is there any way you know of that I can get these back?
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2015 at 1:42 PM
Edited Dec 20, 2015 at 1:55 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for sending this list in. I have looked at these in some detail (see below), and they all appear to be Windows 10 tasks with no Windows 7 equivalent. The appropriate action in RepairTasks is therefore to unplug these tasks so that they do not interfere with Task Scheduler. None of them showed up when I reverted from an upgrade to the original version of Windows 10, so I speculate that they may have been introduced by the November refresh.

I have found all of them on a Windows 10 1511 system of my own. Below, for each task, I give the description shown in Task Scheduler, and the executable that implements their action. For most of them, Task Scheduler merely shows ‘Custom Handler’, and won’t give you any more detail than that. But if you look in the XML file, it gives a GUID that leads via the registry to a DLL implementing the action, which is what I list.

Almost none of the executables implementing the actions appear on a Windows 7 system, which is pretty good evidence that the tasks did not exist. The only exception is System32\srchadmin.dll, which is used by Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance. However, the earliest references that I can find to this task are from Windows 8; I think that the Windows 7 indexing service was not supported by such a task.

Microsoft\Windows\AppID\EDP Policy Manager
This task performs steps necessary to configure Enterprise Data Protection
System32\AppLockerCsp.dll
I think that this feature was added in Windows 10

Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific
Task that collects data for SmartScreen in Windows.
system32\apprepsync.dll
Windows 8 introduced SmartScreen filtering at the desktop level, performing reputation checks by default on any file or application downloaded from the Internet

Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\AikCertEnrollTask
This task enrolls a certificate for Attestation Identity Key.
system32\ngctasks.dll
See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn410314.aspx

Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\CryptoPolicyTask
This task synchronizes cryptographic policy.
system32\ngctasks.dll

Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\KeyPreGenTask
This task pre-generates TPM based Attestation Identity Key (AIK) and Storage Key (SK).
system32\ngctasks.dll

Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog
Location Notification
System32\WindowsActionDialog.exe

Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\RunFullMemoryDiagnostic
Detects and mitigates problems in physical memory (RAM).
System32\MemoryDiagnostic.dll

Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor
Initialises Family Safety monitoring and enforcement.
System32\wpcmon.exe

Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh
Synchronises the latest settings with the Family Safety website.
System32\WpcWebSync.dll

Microsoft\Windows\Shell\IndexerAutomaticMaintenance
Keeps the search index up to date
System32\srchadmin.dll

Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\ForceSynchronizeTime
This task performs time synchronization.
system32\TimeSyncTask.dll

Dijji
Jan 8, 2016 at 3:49 PM
I am not very computer literate, but I have managed to use the downloads for "Repair Tasks" to fix approx 53 of the tasks. I still have 16 tasks that show up when I run the Task Repair Scan. All 11 of the Windows 10 tasks are listed and there are 5 others that have "the task image is corrupt or has been tampered with".
In order of Task Scheduler:
Task UsbCeip
Task Kernel Ceip Task
Task Analyse System
Task Synchronize Time
Task Queue Reporting
I would like to clean this up, because I, like many others, had Win 10 upgrade and then reverted back to Win 7Pro 64bit. I'm not sure where to go to delete the Win 10 tasks and I am not confident in repairing the above listed tasks. Any HELP would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Paul (pjwdesigngm)
Coordinator
Jan 9, 2016 at 7:55 PM
Hi Paul

The five tasks that you list all appear to be standard Windows 7 tasks (I think that the names you give are their displayable names rather than their official names, which don’t have blanks and are not affected by language e.g. ‘Analyse System’ is formally AnalyzeSystem).

So you should be able to clear all these up using the ‘Windows7 Tasks.zip’ download that I provide and following the steps described in the documentation, which I repeat here for your convenience:

To use standard Windows 7 task files, download the Windows7 Tasks.zip file, then Repair with the ‘Take tasks from backup’ radio button checked. In the dialog that opens, select the Windows7 Tasks.zip file in its downloaded location. For each task to be repaired, RepairTasks looks inside the zip file for the corresponding task file from a clean Windows 7 installation. If there is one, it uses it to repair the task; otherwise the task is left unchanged. It is not necessary to unzip the downloaded file

Do let me know if you have any problems.

Dijji
Jan 10, 2016 at 12:57 PM
Hi Dijji
I first want to Thank You for the solution so generously given. I have another computer that ran Win 7Pro 64bit, so I went into the Systems 32/ Tasks and searched for the 5 that were corrupt, made a copy of each and put them in a folder. Then, I moved the folder to a USB drive and cut and paste the folder to the computer with the 5 corrupted tasks. Ran "Fix Task Scheduler". Scan showed 5 corrupt Tasks, as expected, went to "Use Back Up" selected the folder I had copied from my other computer. And, Voila, came back as "recovered". Opened Task Scheduler and NO error messages. Thank You, again for your expertise on this matter caused by Win 10 to Win 7 rollback.
Have a Great and Prosperous New Year!
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2016 at 6:10 PM
Excellent! A Happy New Year to you and all your computers!

Dijji
Jan 29, 2016 at 1:03 AM
Edited Feb 4, 2016 at 4:37 PM
Dijji - Thank you for the files. I was a bit confused and it took me a while to understand how to use the tools, so I took the time to show what I did to fix the problem in a step by step manner. THANK you again for creating these wonderful tools to solve this issue.

Fixed in 14 steps. See below.
  1. Issue was Caused by reverting from Windows 10 back to Windows 7 (in my case windows 7 64 Bit)
  2. Download Repair Tasks by Dijji at https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/
  3. Download Windows7 Tasks.zip (DO NOT UNZIP) at https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/releases/view/617575?RateReview=true
  4. Create a Folder called AAAAATASK in your Documents (Which can be found START > Documents)
    C:\Users\David\Documents\AAAAATASK
  5. Open the downloaded RepairTasks.zip file From step 2 and copy both files (RepairTaskes.exe and RepairTasks.exe.config to the AAAAATASK folder in your documents folder.
  6. Copy the entire downloaded zip file Windows7 Tasks.zip to the AAAAATASK folder in your documents folder.
  7. Right click and Run as administrator RepairTaskes.exe
  8. Click the Scan Button to get list of corrupted files
  9. Click the repair Button. (most or all of the tasks should be repaired now. If not, go to step 10.
  10. Click the Radio button> Take tasks from backup
  11. Click Scan for a list of the remaining corrupted files.
  12. Click Repair again.
  13. You will get a pop-up window asking where the RepairTasks.zip is located-- the file you created AAAAATASK, which should be on the very top – of course, as reason for the name of the file.
  14. You can test by running Both Scans and if you do not get anymore lists of files. Boom! You are done.
If I missed a step, please let me know, and I will post with the corrections.
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2016 at 9:14 AM
Hi Norwood451

You give a good walk-through of what I think is a typical experience of using RepairTasks. With your permission, I think I would like to add it to the documentation. The only thing I find slightly surprising is the recommendation to use ‘Run as Administrator’, rather than just running the program and being prompted to authorise it to run as administrator. Do you have a particular reason for this?

Dijji
Feb 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2016 at 4:39 PM
Hi Dijji – First, thank you for the free Software, without it I would have had to reinstall Windows 7.

Yes, of course you can use my walk-through, I owe you anyway. I added a step, just now.

My system requires administrator approval, so I added that in case someone else systems also does. It will not hurt to do so no matter what, as you know.

I just wrote down steps that I did and because I am not a programmer, so it may be easier for a layman to understand. However, I was a copy writer for technical manuals and brochures in my past vocation, so it should be accurate based on my experience.

You can certainly make changes if you want. It's your program. However feel free to give me credit. :) - BTW- I am a Real Estate Broker on the Central Coast of California.

Best Regards,

David Norwood