Issue with Windows 7 back-up and restore

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:44 PM
Good evening,

I just reverted from Windows 10 to Windows 7 (French version).
I ran into an issue with Windows back-up and restore with error code 0x81000031.
I opened Task scheduler, and had many messages "Task image corrupted or...", and happily solved them with your tool (Bravo!).

But, unfortunately, the Windows back-up and restore still run into error code 0x81000031.

Would you have an idea on how to solve that issue? Is it related to the fact that your tool doesn't handle non-US version of Windows?

Kind Regards,

Philippe
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2015 at 7:10 AM
Edited Oct 6, 2015 at 7:11 AM
Hi Philippe

0x81000031 is usually caused by a problem with your Libraries.

If you look at each library in Explorer, at the top of the right-hand pane it will say e.g. “Documents Library” and underneath “Includes: 2 locations". Click on the locations to see what the folders are. Usually, it turns out that some inaccessible drive is included. The last time I had this, it turned out that Pictures included the drive for a camera that had only temporarily been plugged in.

I don’t think that you have any language related issues, though I must apologise for the horribly Anglo centric limitations of my own efforts.

Dijji
Oct 6, 2015 at 8:02 AM
Hi Dijji,

First, let me thank you for your prompt answer.

Let me add some more information to my initial message.

After several tests (adding one by one the libraries to back-up in the back-up selection), the culprits are identified: they are music and pictures libraries, that can't be saved in the back-up and generate the 0x81000031 error.
I will use your solution this evening, as I suspect that Windows 10 added my phone as one device storing pictures and music.

I am convinced that Microsoft should embed your software in the procedure to revert from Windows 10 to Windows 7.

Kind regards,

Philippe
Oct 6, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Hi Dijji,

Just a quick note to let you know that, thanks to your help, everything is back to normal. Backup is again fully operational.

Microsoft should select you to help them to clean Windows 10!

By the way, are you now back to W7 or have you gone back to W10?

When do you think will be the right time to migrate?

As of me, I experienced with W10 a loss of Ethernet connection, plus many slowdowns of the system. It looks as if Microsoft released W10 2 to 3 months too early, judging with the speed they release big updates.

Kind Regards,

Philippe

De : Dijji [email removed]
Envoyé : mardi 6 octobre 2015 09:11
À : [email removed]
Objet : Re: Issue with Windows 7 back-up and restore [RepairTasks:645833]

Hi Philippe

0x81000031 is usually caused by a problem with your Libraries.

If you look at each library in Explorer, at the top of the right-hand pane it will say e.g. “Documents Library” and underneath “Includes: 2 locations. Click on the locations to see what the folders are. Usually, it turns out that some inaccessible drive is included. The last time I had this, it turned out that Pictures included the drive for a camera that had only temporarily been plugged in.

I don’t think that you have any language related issues, though I must apologise for the horribly Anglo centric limitations of my own efforts.

Dijji

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2015 at 8:07 AM
Hi Philippe

I’m glad to hear that all is now well with you.

I am currently on my third visit to the land of Windows 10. The deal breaker each time has been a specific third-party software and hardware combination on which I depend, and which is an ongoing issue. But having jumped almost as soon as possible, and again repeatedly since, I have noticed that the general experience has been improving each time. On my first visit, Task Manager didn’t work properly!

There may be a hint as to what is going on in the current cumulative update. It updates 4800 files in total, 300 of them with versions created on or after 15 September. So, clearly, things are still in flux. Maybe RepairTasks will become redundant soon: I’m sure there’s a bug for it somewhere, it’s just a question of its priority.

But having said all that, I hope to stay with Windows 10 this time. I find that it feels crisper than Windows 7 did. It certainly runs using a lot less memory. I seem to have cast off a good deal of Windows 7 bloat, somehow. Equally, however, I might find something that breaks me tomorrow. I’m certainly not going to clean up Windows.old just yet.

Dijji