This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

any ideas on 'ERROR: Logon failure:unknown user name or bad password'

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:11 PM
Again, thanks so much for this public service you have done in writing this thing, MS should give you a medal!. Pretty much all my tasks have been restored except for 5 that I created myself, and I get the error as shown above. Have used your v 3, and tried running as administrator, but no joy.
regards
PtR
Sep 23, 2015 at 7:57 AM
Edited Sep 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM
Hi PtR

I’m wondering whether this is to do with task definitions themselves. If you open up a task file in Notepad or similar, you will find that it is just XML with the file extension sawn off. Look for the <Principals> section, which defines the identity under which the task is to be run. Here is an example from an Adobe installed task:
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
      <UserId>System</UserId>
      <LogonType>InteractiveTokenOrPassword</LogonType>
      <RunLevel>LeastPrivilege</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
As you can see, this basically says run as system. I’m wondering if the journey via Windows 10 mutated the principal specified for your tasks to something that your system does not recognise, hence the error you are getting. If so, one way of correcting it would be to create some new task in the way you did before, and copy the Principals section over to the damaged definitions.

Dijji
Sep 23, 2015 at 3:42 PM
Hi Diji
you were correct, I noticed that newer tasks that I created had
<LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType>
whereas the ones that were failing had
<LogonType>Password</LogonType>
I just edited those few tasks to have LogonType as InteractiveToken and they repaired OK.
Thanks again for the program and the response.
PtR