This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Backup and Restore : guess I'm on the right track but still 5 errors not solved

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:19 PM
Hi Dijji,
Please note that I'm just a Windows user and not a programmer..! I bumped into your tool via the answers.microsoft.com site, as my Windows 7 Backup and restore gave me error 0x80041321, after downgrading from W10.
Up to now your tool has been able to repair something like 24 errors, but I'm unable to get the last ones from the list resolved, even when using your Windows Task file download. I even copied a Task file from another windows 7 computer I own and still no result.

The errors I tried to resolve are those that Chaacresh also describes on Sept 10 :
Task image corrupt: Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor
Task image corrupt: Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask
Task image corrupt: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\WindowsParentalControls
Task image corrupt: Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1
Task image corrupt: Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2
Scan completed: 5 problems found

But when I run the tool in the 'repair /take tasks from backup' mode (the Task file has been copied into the Documents folder - the tool does not allow me to access a temp folder (?)), I get an error that the Repair Task tool is unable to find these files:

Cannot find either 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\BackgroundConfigSurveyor' or 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor'
Cannot find either 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\RacTask' or 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask'
Cannot find either 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\WindowsParentalControls' or 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\WindowsParentalControls'
Cannot find either 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\IpAddressConflict1' or 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1'
Cannot find either 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\IpAddressConflict2' or 'C:\Users\Phias\Documents\Windows7 Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2'
Repair completed: 0 tasks repaired; 5 repairs failed

Although when I look via Windows Explorer, those file are there...That's where I'm lost, and where Backup and restore still does not want to work, giving me the error 0x81000031 which seems to have to do with library location, syntax etc.

I'm unsure if one thing (the tool unable to find files and repair them) has to do with the Backup and restore error on the other end.

It would be great if you could shed a light on this, and if your tool can fix the above. I repeat, just for clearness sake that I am not a programmer, just a plain standard Windows user....

Thanks already for your help!
Sep 16, 2015 at 7:35 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Thank you very much for your help. It is only with this sort of feedback that I can hope to get rid of the nasty gotchas that we programmers tend to leave in, despite our best efforts.

In this case, the problem seems to be about getting the Windows 7 tasks into a place where RepairTasks, which I’m now thinking is being ridiculously intolerant, can get at them. Here is a detailed set of steps that should work with the current version. Could you give them a try and let me know what happens? In the meanwhile, I'll have a look at that backup and restore error to see if there is any help I can give.
  1. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to a copy of Windows7 Tasks.zip
  2. Expand the folder, you should be able to see a folder within it called Tasks
  3. Right click on Tasks, and say copy
  4. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your Documents folder
  5. Right click on some empty space, and say paste
  6. You should now have a folder in documents called Tasks, which contains an unzipped copy of all the Windows 7 task definitions
  7. Run RepairTasks, specifying use backup folder. When asked for the folder, point at the Tasks folder that you have created in Documents
Dijji

PS version 3 of RepairTasks allows Windows 7Tasks.zip to be used without actually unzipping it. The procedure given above is now only required for version 2 and before.
Sep 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM
This thread looks quite useful on the backup problem.

Dijji
Sep 17, 2015 at 1:22 AM
Dijji,
Thanks so much for the useful fix. I thought Win10 was supposed to be the next great thing but have run into nothing but problems from the start and reverted back to win 7. I had the same issues as Peter HR with the same lingering errors. Can you help me with the last set of instruction please. Namely, where can I find a copy of windows 7 tasks.zip?? It does not seem to exist on my HD as searches turn up nothing.
Thanks in advance
Gary
Sep 17, 2015 at 1:23 AM
Dijji,
Thanks so much for the useful fix. I thought Win10 was supposed to be the next great thing but have run into nothing but problems from the start and reverted back to win 7. I had the same issues as Peter HR with the same lingering errors. Can you help me with the last set of instruction please. Namely, where can I find a copy of windows 7 tasks.zip?? It does not seem to exist on my HD as searches turn up nothing.
Thanks in advance
Gary
Sep 17, 2015 at 8:14 AM
Hi Gary,
Another example of me failing to be clear! Windows 7 tasks.zip is a download from my site, and can be found on the same page as the download for RepairTasks.
Dijji
Sep 19, 2015 at 5:35 PM
hi Dijji,
same problem as gary but i have these three left not in cluded in your backup zip file

Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\MobilePC\TMM failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Wired\GatherWiredInfo failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
Recovery of task Microsoft\Windows\Wireless\GatherWirelessInfo failed with 'ERROR: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range.(2,8):version:1.5'
Repair completed: 0 tasks repaired; 3 repairs failed
Sep 19, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Edited Sep 21, 2015 at 9:09 AM
Dijji Good evening,

sorry for the delay in coming back to you, but I've been a couple of days on the road without my laptop... :)

Anyway, I wanted to say 'thank you' because all errors are gone now. I removed all the previous 'task' files from the My documents folder and followed precisely the steps as laid out by you. Maybe I need to add that when I ran 'TaskRepair', I immediately choose the 'take tasks from backup' option, ran the scan which listed the 5 famous errors (see initial discussion thread), and afterwards ran the 'repair' option with 'take tasks from backup' highlighted.
So now all errors are solved.
Thanks also for the thread on the Backup and Recovery, which still seems to give me some headaches. I'll run through that thread, and will keep you posted if I'm able to resolve.
My goal is - unlike a lot of people I read 'downgrading' back from W10 to W7 to stay there - to get back to W10, which worked reasonably well for me and which I did not dislike. I did one stupid thing, which was creating my user account linking it to my hotmail account, which then starts sending bunches of info to MS. Which I don't like, and which caused issues in one of my linked GMail accounts. But it seems you can create a 'local account' w/o mention or use of an email, and w/o sending all that info to Bill and company. But you can't create such with equal rights if you already have created an account with your email in W10. that's why I got back to W7, and will - if I get my backup to work again - go back to W10 creating a local account with administrator rights as in W7. Sorry, I'm drifting off, but guessed that maybe it would be of interest to you and other readers.
Thanks again Dijji for all your help!

Update 21 Sept : Dijji - I was also able to fix the Backup and Recovery issue, taking the information of the thread you sent me earlier. I had to tweak and adjust the Backup settings a bit, but it works now! I'm still unsure if and up to what extent the 'tasks' problem I had was/is also linked to the error 0x81000031 Windows B&R produced... Maybe worth investigating!
Thanks & best regards! Peter
Sep 22, 2015 at 10:04 AM
PeterHR

I am glad that everything seems, finally, to be sorted out. I also want to thank you for your input, showing me rough spots that needed to be filed down. As a direct result of your feedback, I have a new version in the works which will allow installation from the zip file without unzipping it, and is also more flexible about finding task files. So thank you on behalf of the future users who find their lives made easier!

Dijji
Sep 22, 2015 at 10:17 AM
Edited Sep 22, 2015 at 1:34 PM
JeffRich

It seems that these are an operating system upgrade issue of another kind. This thread indicates that they are obsolete Windows Vista tasks left over from a previous upgrade.

This site gives descriptions of them.

As none of them still seem to be relevant, the best bet looks to be just to remove them. See if Task Scheduler will let you. If not, the just released version 3 of RepairTasks will help you clean them off the system.

Dijji
Sep 25, 2015 at 9:39 PM
Thanks so much for this program. You are amazing! Great job! All 40 of my error messages are now gone. :)