This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

some behaviour worth pointing out

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:54 AM
First, thank you for writing this program, as I have been stuck for days trying to figure out how to fix all the corrupt entries without deleting and recreating or reinstalling, since of course I didn't notice that I hadn't had any backups until almost two weeks after I had rolled back to Windows 7.

I noted some of the xml errors listed in the results, but did not run the program again with the windows 7 tasks, as scheduler opened with no error messages and I was able to create new tasks, so should I have run it again anyway using the windows 7 tasks zipfile?

Also, because I run a lot of programs in compatibility mode, once Task Repair finished repairing, Windows automatically tried to run setup for about nine programs at once! luckily it couldn't find the setup files for most of them. Just letting you know in case anyone freaks out about that.

Thanks so much again for writing this program, I would have been lost without it.
Sep 4, 2015 at 8:31 AM
Thank you for your feedback, and the warning about compatibility storms!

Things on your system are slightly less healthy than they look. When RepairTasks tries but fails to recover a task, it’s registry entries remain deleted, which causes the task to disappear from the view of Task Scheduler. The task at this stage is not fixed, but merely unplugged. Do we care?

The tasks left with XML errors after rollback to Windows 7 typically include:
  1. Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor Run at 3am if idle - Performance Tracing Idle Task: Background configuration surveyor
  2. Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask. Run on event or 1am - Microsoft Reliability Analysis task to process system reliability data.
  3. Microsoft\Windows\Shell\WindowsParentalControls. Run at logon - Notifications for actions taken by Windows Parental Controls.
  4. Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict1. Run at event - This event is triggered when an IP address conflict is detected.
  5. Microsoft\Windows\Tcpip\IpAddressConflict2. Ditto
A little unclear, but the least the IP address conflict resolution looks worth having. In general, I would recommend completing the repair using the Windows 7 tasks. An upcoming revision of the tool will reflect the situation more honestly by restoring the registry entries when it fails to recover a task, so that Task Scheduler will continue to pick up the problems.

Dijji
Sep 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Version 2, which includes the restoration of registry entries when recovery fails, as discussed above, is now available for download.

Dijji
Sep 5, 2015 at 12:23 AM
Hi, thanks for the explanation, I ran repair tasks again using the windows 7 tasks and it's reporting no errors now, I didn't see your notice about the new version to download, but will grab it for safekeeping. I can't thank you enough for everything you've done!