Failing after repairing one task

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:25 PM
It's worked brilliantly to repair two systems which had been reverted from Windows 10. Thank you for saving my time and temper!
But today I'm trying to fix a Win 7 HP system which I don't think has been upgraded to 10 and back, but Task Scheduler displays similar symptoms. Repair Tasks loads, scans, finds dozens of tasks (Windows and other stuff) as "Task not installed". Click on Repair - immediately get " Repair Tasks has stopped working". If I run it again I see that the first task has been repaired, but the rest remain 'not installed'.
Somewhat flaky system, so probably not your program's fault: SFC fails, including from a Win7 USB.
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2015 at 3:43 PM
It seems that I have an unhandled exception i.e. something is failing that I did not think would ever fail. Maybe it is a reflection of the unusual state of this machine.

If I create a version with extra diagnostics in, would you be prepared to run it for me? It is exactly looking at the failures that helps improve the quality of my program.

Dijji
Sep 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your very prompt response.

I'd be glad to have a try, but, be warned, I'm not a coder. (I used to be, but that was an unbelievably long time ago.)

The system in question has just run SFC /scannow in Safe Mode - found errors but failed to repair, as it did in normal mode, and when run from a Win 7 USB. I'm about to try DISM, more in hope than expectation. History: this is a client computer in for a long overdue routine service. The client didn't report any particular problems, but that doesn't say much! It's due to go back on Friday, so we don't have a great deal of time to experiment - if it isn't behaving by tomorrow midday (GMT +1) I shall have to rebuild (yawn). Nothing out of the ordinary about it, it's a Dell Inspiron 1545.

Joyce Beck
[email removed]

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:34 AM
Hello Dijji,

Further to yesterday's efforts: my brain was failing, not DISM, it's Windows 7, I meant System Update Readiness Tool - it didn't do anything.

On examining Task Scheduler, I find that the tasks which RepairTasks seems to have repaired - they don't appear on the list after scanning any more - are not present in Task Scheduler, and no message pops up to say that they are missing when Task Scheduler starts. In other words, it looks like RepairTasks is not really repairing them, but removing them.

Regrettably, I'm going to have to abandon the attempt, and rebuild the system, I don't have time to indulge in the level of investigation I'd enjoy! I expect to use RepairTasks again, since we are getting a steady trickle of people needing help with broken Windows 10 upgrade/reversion attempts! I'll be sure to give you feedback.

Joyce Beck
[email removed]

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Hi Joyce.

I think you're right, it was removing them. For the reinstallation of the task to work, the task file and registry entries have to be removed before the attempt is made. I think the unexpected error was blowing the tool up and preventing it restoring the task file, which is supposed to be what happens when the reinstallation fails. Currently, the registry entries remain deleted until reinstallation succeeds, which is why tasks for which reinstallation has failed don't show up in Task Scheduler.

I have a new version on the test bench with a lot more error trapping and which also backs up and restores the registry entries, so that if reinstallation fails, or if some unexpected error occurs, everything should be restored to the state in which the tool found it.

I quite understand that you have had to move on and rebuild the machine. Even so, your input will make the next version significantly stronger, and I hope, save a bunch of other people time and trouble. Thank you.

Dijji
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM
Version 2, which includes the improved error handling discussed above, is now available for download.

Dijji
Sep 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Hello Dijji,

Looking forward to trying version 2.

Here's a little coding project for you:
Our clients are mostly simple souls. The first most of them heard about Windows 10 was when "these messages kept coming up". Now I'm finding that a great proportion of their systems are showing Windows Updates failed constantly, because every day it is failing the Windows 10 Upgrade. The thought of most of them attempting the upgrade is terrifying, so I'm going through the procedure to remove it completely. It's getting more than a little boring! I can perform the procedure via our remote access, but there has to be a restart in the middle, so we have to reconnect. I wonder if you could write some magic to do this:

Uninstall and hide KB3035583 and KB2952664 (Windows 7) or KB2976978 (Windows 8.1).

Remove all the registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade

Remove OSUpgradePendingReboot and OSUpgradeRebootScheduledTime from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update (my experience is that they do not usually exist).

Remove the folder C:\$WINDOWS.~BT



Joyce Beck
[email removed]

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2015 at 2:29 PM
Hi Joyce

I just came across this: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html , which seems to be exactly the sort of thing you’re looking for. I haven’t tried it myself, and Microsoft are apparently finding ways around it, but you may find it useful.

Dijji
Oct 15, 2015 at 2:40 PM
Hi Dijji,

I found that just this morning, and gave it a try. After it, Windows Update (Windows 7) offered me KB2952664 again, but I'll give it some further testing on systems at different stages of acceptance and download of Win 10.




Joyce Beck
[email removed]